Re: [linux-audio-dev] cdr: the latest screenshot from Linux Audio Systems

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] cdr: the latest screenshot from Linux Audio Systems
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 12:05:14 EEST

Check out the newest shot (just uploaded). As of now (05:00 EST), this
thing has the full functionality of other Linux CD players, plus all
the hooks for recording. There are a few minor details of the GUI to
fix, but this is pretty much it.

>Just for curiousity: are the buttons scanned from a real deck ?

they are taken from a couple of real decks. when i figure out the
legality of this - i got the shots from the manufacturer's website -
i'll figure out what the long term future is. if i can't use these
images, i have a friend who is a commercial photographer. we happen to
have one of the models from which the buttons are taken in the studio
right now, so if it comes down to it, we'll just reshoot them
ourselves and then scan them in. i don't see how the manufacturer can
prevent that.

>Are they animated when you push them (hopefully !) ?

there are only three buttons with any state, and these have a central
LED that illuminates when the button is pushed - i haven't spend any
time making them look "depressed" because i figure the central LED
that comes on is enough. if you check out most of the steinberg
buttons, this is pretty much how they work.

all other buttons are "state free", just as on many h/w surfaces - you
press them, it does something, the button remains the same as it ever
was.

>How about the knobs ?

these will turn soon, but it involves a bunch of work with the GIMP
that i don't really feel like doing right now.

>It would be cool that when you turn them around,
>that the light reflections would mimic the behaviour of a real know.

it seems to me that the light reflections don't move when the knob is
rotated. thats why the knobs are a bunch of work - i have to cut the
top part of, then feed the circle through the AnimFrames plugin, then
paste the tops back onto each generated (rotated) image. arguably, it
would be faster to just redraw the white indicator dot, but that
breaks my whole PixmapButton model.

>Your gfx stuff will be very handy for a future EVO guy !
>(if you permit us to use your gfx libs and elements :-)) )

this is just the same code as has been in Quasimodo (libgtkmmext) for
a year or more. its all gpl'ed as usual. you use the gpl, you can use
my stuff.

meanwhile, i have to go to bed. its been a long time since i've been
up past 1:30am, and i'm going to pay for this tomorrow :(

--p