Re: [linux-audio-dev] efficient non-blocking writes to /dev/dsp

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] efficient non-blocking writes to /dev/dsp
From: Alexander Ehlert (alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 13:23:54 EEST

Hi,

> basically, the OSS API is based on h/w models from the SB16 era; ALSA
> has successfully incorporated lots of lessons from devices like the
> Hammerfall, the ice1712-based devices and others.

I quite like ALSA as well, but you can't really use it, because its API
is changing all the time. I implemented ALSA Support in glame for
ALSA 0.5 and now with 0.9 everything is broken again... Anyway, I hope
it is stabilizing soon. BTW: Do you know if there's an easy way with alsa
to send 5.1 streams through SP/DIF. Last week I got myself a Hoontech card
with Yamaha 754 and Digital bracket. It would be cool to get it going with
a surround decoder. Is there anyone with experience in terms of
Linux/Surround.

Cheers, Alex