Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extensions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extensions
From: Jim Peters (jim_AT_aguazul.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 20:19:43 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 12:59:21PM +0100, Jim Peters wrote:
> > I want to write a sample-playing module. Really, I'd like to pass the
> > sample filename on creating the module instance so that it can preload
> > the sample. After that point, it can be completely controlled using
> > the normal input ports, using deactivate() and activate() to reset the
> > play position.
>
> See the list a few weeks back where I discussed exactly this problem.
> Current thinking is that we should have a second executable that provides
> a GUI and that could communicate with the DSP part, probably via OSC.
>
> I think that the best option is that the DSP .so provides a function that
> can be called to create the GUI. So you could link the two parts in
> whatever way you want, stdin<->stdout would be OK I guess.

I have absolutely no interest in having a GUI. Basically, I'll be
driving the module from something resembling a script.

> If you don't want to mess with GUIs then go for a config file which lists
> a set of samples, and an int hinted port that specifies which sample to
> play.

Sorry, this is not clean and doesn't scale. And what if I happen to
run two modules in different processes at the same time ? They will
have to somehow cooperate and merge their config files ... YUCK!

If you're wondering why I might be running two processes, it's because
I might be rendering a `song' in high-quality in a background process,
whilst listening to another in real-time. This is certainly a good
idea on an SMP machine.

Probably I'll add a back-door function to get around this (or create a
special JimSPA for just these modules that LADSPA can't handle).

Jim

P.S. Sorry to Steve for sending this reply directly to him initially
- I'm not used to a mailing list without Reply-To headers - I was
wondering why my reply hadn't appeared on the list.

--
 Jim Peters         /             __   |  \              Aguazul