Re: [linux-audio-dev] 2.4.3 & SB

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] 2.4.3 & SB
From: lpotter (lpotter_AT_peakpeak.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 16:49:59 EEST

At 10:45 4/12/2001 +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

>a) alsa is not very hard to set up, and has very helpful mailing
>lists.

True for you and me, but I know people that don't want to fuss AT ALL.
The old "you have to download/compile this and that package just to compile
this and that package to be able to install the utilities to install the
drivers".... Personally, I think they'd rather be recording/making music
than having to rigamaroo about installing drivers... or kernels.

>b) alsa is going to be standard in the next kernel release anyway.

I heard this about the 2.2 kernel.... when 2.1 got started.
And then about the 2.4 kernel when 2.3 got started.
What's the hold up? Stability?

>c) not a single professional audio card runs with the oss drivers in
>the kernel.

I'm not really talking pro users. Just your average poor musician that uses
whatever card came with the computer.
Who also uses whatever drivers the distro uses, which is most likely the
kernel drivers.

>so if you want a long and bright future for your programming effort,
>it is very much advisable to jump on the alsa train. :)

I am not debating the viability of the ALSA drivers. Nor am I trying to
bash them, or the kernel drivers. I simply want to know if what I heard at
the start of 2.3, that the SB kernel drivers will be full duplex.
:)

ljp