RE: [linux-audio-dev] 2.4.3 & SB

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] 2.4.3 & SB
From: STEFFL, ERIK *Internet* (SBCSI) ("STEFFL,)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 17:49:15 EEST

  that's very temporary condition - as has been said the alsa drivers will
replace current oss kernel drivers - do you want to write 'legacy code' or a
code with bright future?

  even today - debian has alsa drivers, you can install them just like any
other software (it's a _little_ bit harder but no compiling required).
There's this debian based music distro that I forgot the name of... I guess
other distributions offer alsa as well...

  your point about making music is a good one but only goes so far - if you
want to use car you have to learn to drive at some point, right?

> >b) alsa is going to be standard in the next kernel release anyway.
>
> I heard this about the 2.2 kernel.... when 2.1 got started.
> And then about the 2.4 kernel when 2.3 got started.
> What's the hold up? Stability?

  mostly stability of API that was still changing up until recently - as I
wrote in other email alsa just jumped to 0.9 and is almost ready for the
prime time.

> >c) not a single professional audio card runs with the oss drivers in
> >the kernel.
>
> I'm not really talking pro users. Just your average poor
> musician that uses
> whatever card came with the computer.
> Who also uses whatever drivers the distro uses, which is most
> likely the
> kernel drivers.

  the easiest to use distro is debian (they should get somebody else to
instal it though, the installation process is being worked on but is not
smoothest one around (yet)). and it has alsa drivers.

> >so if you want a long and bright future for your programming effort,
> >it is very much advisable to jump on the alsa train. :)
>
> I am not debating the viability of the ALSA drivers. Nor am I
> trying to
> bash them, or the kernel drivers. I simply want to know if
> what I heard at
> the start of 2.3, that the SB kernel drivers will be full duplex.
> :)

  we're just wondering why you worry about drivers that are being phased
out... I don't know what your plans are but I guess you want your software
to be used for a longer period...

  there's one point I haven't seen mentioned though - oss is quite portable
- it can be used on quite a few unix(-like) system, not sure if it's
actually used though. alsa is linux only, at least for now - right?

        erik