Re: [linux-audio-dev] new LAD host ? [was:Re: lad archive down]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] new LAD host ? [was:Re: lad archive down]
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 19:10:38 EEST

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

>> i can host the LAD list on the very stable server music.columbia.edu
> sounds good to me. as i said, i would be willing to take over
> maintenance, provided that i can have ssh access to the server.

This sounds good to me. I think an "academic server" :) is best place for
hosting community services like LAD.

In commercial environment, _nothing_ is certain. This is not necessarily
bad, it's just the way things work. Company can go bankcrupt, it can be
bought, it can change it strategy.. etc, etc. For instance, I could host
LAD at eca.cx (physically on WakkaNet Inc servers). I already host the LAD
web archives on the same machines. But this isn't optimal. WakkaNet has
been in business since 1995, but there's still no guarantees about the
future. The recent WindRiver-Slackware case (
http://slashdot.org/articles/01/04/17/2118220.shtml ) should convince
everyone. As a short summary, Wind River bought BSDi, which again was
funding Slackware development. As a result, all Slackware developers lost
their jobs.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!