Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] rawmidi && alsa

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ot] rawmidi && alsa
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 00:46:07 EEST

>Please avoid to use direct access to ALSA kernel API, this means to ask
>for troubles.
>
>Please understand that we'll have no hesitation to break compatibility
>of your applications with future releases.
>
>You've no drawbacks to use alsa-lib API.

it doesn't work on FIFO's, sockets and pipes. for many of us, thats a
HUGE disadvantage. having a different API depending on what kind of
file descriptor we're writing to makes no sense in the case of raw
MIDI data. for audio data, i can entirely accept it, but MIDI is just
a simple byte stream, and i would be very dismayed if ALSA breaks the
operation of read/write/open/close on the MIDI file descriptors.

there is absolutely nothing that i know of above read/write/open/close
in the ALSA raw MIDI API that is of use to any application I have ever
seen.

--p