Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LAAGA - main components (fwd)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: LAAGA - main components (fwd)
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 10:47:01 EEST

Stefan Westerfeld wrote:

> * CSL: should be the API to go for "just playing a stream". If every
> application would be ported there, then using aRts for doing sound output
> or using OSS for sound output, or using another server architecture for
> sound output should be just a matter of having a CSL driver for that.

Stefan, with all the due respect, I'm definitely against CSL: its API is
far from a complete one.

I think that this is somewhat evident comparing it to alsa-lib PCM API.

I'm also unable to understand the reasons have pushed you and Tim to
write it.

I think that this terrific fragmentation is going to hurt us, and it
will waste a lot of time and opportunities.

The point is that alsa-lib PCM API has all the characteristics to be the
front end API for every underlying things, and to add an incomplete
layer on top of it is a broken choice.

Note also that alsa-lib PCM API, will be *always* used also from all
application that want to talk directly with hardware.

Abramo

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to
choose from.
                -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!