Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - main components

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - main components
From: Abramo Bagnara (abramo_AT_alsa-project.org)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 11:00:59 EEST

Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> Indeed. I just hope that we can get other to join in. For instance, Stefan
> and Abramo, how these plans seem like from your perspective? Do think
> we're recreating aRts or aserver, or are we onto something. Can yoy
> picture aRts/aserver as an implementation of one of the above? And others,
> too, how does LAAGA seem from your project's perspective? Where its place
> in the overall picture?

Don't you think that asking to compare an existing thing with a not
existing, relatively undefined one it's a bit weird? ;-)

I'm a bit confused about what LAAGA would/will be.

aserver is an application that permit to access in a very effective way
(shm transport protocol, direct mapping of server things, etc.) devices
(or pseudo devices) from different applications using the alsa-lib API.

The design guideline is "one API for everything".

About the possibility to connect one application output to input of
another application this will be done by loopback server (already
designed, not yet implemented because lack of time/funding).

--
Abramo Bagnara                       mailto:abramo_AT_alsa-project.org

Opera Unica Phone: +39.546.656023 Via Emilia Interna, 140 48014 Castel Bolognese (RA) - Italy

ALSA project http://www.alsa-project.org It sounds good!