Re: [linux-audio-dev] multiplexor

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multiplexor
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 14:01:43 EEST

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 10:54:57PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> i was just browsing the fxpansions web site (they write VST, DX and
> Pulsar plugins), and noticed this:
>
> Multiplexor 8:1, a classic analogue synthesis technique realised on
> Pulsar. Eight inputs are rotated to one output according to the BPM
> clock. Produces unique-sounding 'sequenced' sounds without the
> repetetiveness of a sampled loop.

Yeah. I use this alot. It's often only done with two inputs though, with a
linked gate and a ducker. You can also make interesting source mixes with
a vector synth mixer X-Y modulated with out of tune LFOs.

Its just an 8 way CV controlled switch:

     inputs
  | | | | | | | |
  o o o o o o o o
     \ <- every clock pulse the switch
      \ moves to the next input.
       \
        \

        output

Its very easy to write, but I don't know of any LADSPA hosts that usefully
support an 8 in - 1 out plugin. Does the current ardour? Mine is very out
of date.

Also you would need some sort of clock, it would be best if that came from
the global clock, so maybe the cloxk should be another audio input...

- Steve