Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - main components

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA - main components
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 23:14:13 EEST

>And so what? We're discussing about the API for component communication,
>we are not discussing whether to use a single thread, multiple threads
>or multiple processes.

to clarify my previous comment on this paragraph. the "obvious"
purpose of the API makes its design completely trivial when its done
without any attention to what an implementation would be. the hard
part is designing an API that can be used in a situation where low
latency is a consideration. something that relies on a model like
semaphores, no matter whether they are kernel semaphores or something
else, just isn't right for this situation. IMHO. you want synchronous
processing.

i don't understand what you find so hard about all this. this has been
discussed on LAD on many occasions over the last 2 years. until you
came along, nobody has questioned the conclusion that to do this
right, things all need to be in-process (and not just "the API could
be used in an in-process context"). we know what an in-process API
looks like: its called "callbacks". for an out-of-process model, that
implies RPC, which can never be done with low-latency
characteristics. so i don't see how the same API makes sense for both
situations.