Re: [linux-audio-dev] Disk use causes freezes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Disk use causes freezes
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 21:55:00 EEST

>Juhana, if i understand you correctly, are you saying that Linux
>has extremely bad latency when you're deep into swap space? if
>you are, that can't be helped. if Linux needs to swap things
>back into memory to get the next task to run, then it needs to
>swap things into memory. disks are slow.

Hey, sorry, I will put it more clearly:

No program is using that much memory that the swap space is needed.
It looks like cp, md5sum, tar and/or flac program (which all have
handled large data for me) either use much memory, or Linux VM is
whole memory. I don't know if VM is really swapping anything when the
memory is completely filled. It could just take time to either have
a memory for a new program or get disk loading time for loading the
new program in to memory. Or, in the case of Emacs (freeze of 5
seconds), scheduler lowers the process priorities too much --- are
there any latencies caused by lowered priority in SCHED_USER mode?

I actually don't know details of Linux kernel. I'm sure both using
latest kernels and turning DMA on will help, but I would like to
have a test program which would tell me that the system should be
configured better for multimedia use, or that there could be something
wrong.

Regards,

Juhana

f9af76dc012e5af792bd3b5b3d1b46c8