Re: [linux-audio-dev] Disk use causes freezes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Disk use causes freezes
From: Alexander Ehlert (alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 11:58:18 EEST

Hi,

> I'm a bit worried about it because Debian 2.2 rev 2 is behaving similarly.
> If I copy large files, or perform md5sums on large files, it may take even
> 45 seconds before I get the password prompt on the console or get
> a directory listing. Typically it takes 25-30 seconds. Writing text in
> Emacs may have 4-5 seconds latency; sometimes larger.

What application are you using? If you have on of those editors that loads
everything into RAM, that doesn't surprise me. Glame just reads everything
into it's on swap. Processing is then done by mmapping the swapfile.
If you want to stream an audio file into a network the read is blocking
until the next effect in the chain has processed the last block.
No problem with swap at all.

Cheers, Alex

--

ROMEO: Courage, man; the hurt cannot be much. MERCUTIO: No, 'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide as a church-door; but 'tis enough, 'twill serve.