[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] XRuns and Low-Latency

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] XRuns and Low-Latency
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 02:20:35 EEST

>Would it be possible to return better values for:
>
>snd_pcm_hw_params_get_channels_min / max
>snd_pcm_hw_params_get_rate_min / max
>
>when the plug layer is used?:
>min_ch: 1
>max_ch: 1073741823
>min_rate: 1
>max_rate: -1
>
>This way the users has to enter how many channels he want's to have. And I hav
>e no possibility to check the count or provide meaningfull defaults or selecta
>ble ranges for the card ... - and using the hw:x directly I have to provide a
>ll format convertions myself ...

this has been discussed on alsa-devel quite a lot in the last 2
weeks. i suggest you start by reading the archives for that list, and
then continue the discussion there.

basically, the values the plug layer returns are factually correct,
and you are asking for something that ALSA doesn't properly or fully
support at this time (which as you observe is something like "please
add various parts of the plug layer, but not all it"). it may be that
jaroslav or abramo or fernando added a patch recently to cover the
channels case specifically.

--p