Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADMEA Prototype

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADMEA Prototype
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 11:22:29 EEST

Hi!

As we're over the same things again may I propose something
that'd make both groups happy? I think we need two APIs
(in fact we have one of them already - LADSPA) - and one
of them - LADSPA again - needs to be improved and extended
to that (well not the full thing) what Paul is suggesting:
- LADSPA like flow control with callbacks and a host that
  drives the network
- IPC support (transparent from the app)
- a standard way to organize a network (includes a standard
  host implementation specification) - and to present this
  as a LADSPA plugin
The above should be the stuff LAAGA supports, and I personally
want to add a generic key/value (string/string) database to
the LADSPA descriptor to export things like a categorization
of plugins or other metadata. I also think that the API should
be backward compatible (source) to old LADSPA plugins.

The second API we need is something more general like LAMEDA
or GLAME or GStreamer. These APIs support
- async operation
- feedback support
- format conversion (like rate change) inside a network
- all weird stuff you can think about

So, both groups will be happy.

Also, improving LADSPA will immediately pay back as LADSPA is
already in wide use.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/