Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADMEA Prototype

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADMEA Prototype
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 15:55:55 EEST

last night, i thought of an analogy/metaphor) to illustrate the
difference between the way i think about "processing networks" and the
model used by GLAME, GStreamer and now proposed in Richard's LADMEA.

In both cases, we have a bunch of "nodes" that generate and/or process
a data stream.

My model features a fascist dictator who screams at every node in
turn: "hey you brainless idiot in box 1! get busy, and tell me when
you're done!" The dictator maintains absolute rigid control over the
entire system. The nodes are droids with (almost) no knowledge of the
larger system in which they are embedded.

The "streaming" model represented by GLAME, GStreamer et al. instead
makes the nodes more like a community of cooperating neighbours. They
each do their own thing within a framework that allows them to
cooperate and communicate with each other. They each understand the
system, help shape it, and contribute to and draw from it.

In my own life, I'd rather be a part of the second kind of system. But
I'm not sure that I want such a thing to run my audio rig. Cooperative
communities often produce much more interesting results, and are a lot
more flexible and adaptive than fascist dictatorships. But they tend
to need intelligent members, and they don't tend to get things done on
time, even if the end results are more impressive.

If I was experimenting with audio and other streaming media flows, I'd
want something like the second system. But I'm fairly certain that as
an interconnect system for integrating different applications in a low
latency environment, I want something like the first system. Its not
as flexible, but it doesn't have to be, since an instance of the
second kind of system can be hooked up to it if you want to play with
such things. I'm not convinced that this can be done the other way
around without losing most of the better (!) properties of the fascist
dictatorship.

--p (metaphorically speaking)