Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADMEA Prototype

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADMEA Prototype
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 14:37:05 EEST

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 11:14:09PM +0100, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:
> This approach can be mediated by the exchange - a clever one can observe
> that two network machines are drifting out of sync and add or delete samples
> to fix this. As far as I'm aware, LAAGA would need a whole new layer to deal
> with this. I'm attempting both steps in one.

I don't think so. I was actually planning to implement one of these if
LAAGA takes off, I would have made a bridge driver that ran on both
machines and piped data between them.

The bridge would be synchronous (is that the right term, driven by the
arrival of data anyway), so drifting out of sync wouldn't be a possibllity.

I'm not coinvinced that its possible to add or delete samples to patch up
sync problems without having audible effects or too much overhead.

Obviously sending data through a bridge is not as versatile, but I don't
think its something that should be done lightly anyway. Even over ATM.

> context - LADMEA is intended primarily for inter-app communication, so
> zero-copy isn't nearly such a priority as in LADSPA IMHO.

I suspect that you're underestimating the amount of CPU that will be taken
up with the overhead of running the system, but we will see.

- Steve