[linux-audio-dev] [OT] Yamaha docs: good and bad.

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Yamaha docs: good and bad.
From: Kevin Conder (kconder_AT_interaccess.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 23:34:21 EEST

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001 ccb_AT_acm.org wrote:

> Yamaha manuals from ~1990 to ~1998 were pretty decent. They started
> with a tutorial section for the hands-on, task-oriented types followed
> by a reference manual for folks like me that can't figure out what to
> do without understanding the Theory of Operation. See the Yamaha
> Manual Library (search google) to see nearly every Yamaha synth manual
> from the last 2 decades.

        I downloaded the manual for Yamaha's A3000 sampler because I heard
from its users that it was good. It's laid out according to common tasks
that a user would perform. It starts with the very basics, where to insert
the power plug and audio cords. I think task-orientation and starting
with first principles are good ideas to apply to software documentation.

        Yamaha A3000 users manual:
        http://www.yamaha.com/ycaservice/pdf/617.pdf

        OTOH, I own an AN1x and its manual is a maze to go through.
Relevant pieces of knowledge are scattered about in random sections. I
still don't understand how to use its step sequencer.

        Yamaha AN1X users manual:
        http://www.yamaha.com/ycaservice/pdf/281.pdf

        As an exercise in bad manual layout, try to learn how to use the
step sequencer. Start on page 37. See that note on the bottom about SEQ
EDIT/SETUP? Go to page 89. See that note under Event about Control Change
settings? Go to page 91. See that note about MIDI Control Change messages?
Go to page 109. Follow the trails until you are thoroughly frustrated.

=== Kevin Conder, kevin_AT_kevindumpscore.com