Re: [linux-audio-dev] LASE (needs better name) synthesizer interface proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LASE (needs better name) synthesizer interface proposal
From: David A. Bartold (foxx_AT_mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 21:14:36 EEST

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Werner wrote:

> there _is_ a standard midi synthesizer interface: ALSA. If your
> synthesizer registers as ALSA midi sequencer client you get ready
> processed midi events. No need to write a midi engine and your
> synthi is playable from all ALSA aware sequencer apps. An why
> modify LADSPA? You can test the iiwu software synthesizer modified
> as a plugin this way for use in MusE (http://muse.seh.de/)

Wow, I did not know ALSA's midi synthesis architecture was pluggable. OSS
had some sort of synthesis engine, but it was built-in and only supported
wavetable stuff. The last Midi program for Linux I tried to use
supported FM sound cards and also had some wavetable support but didn't
come with patches and it required some work to get it running. Feh. It
was easier to dual-boot into Windows to do midi sequencing-- the program I
had installed worked just fine out of the box. That was a few years ago,
so hopefully things have changed.

I will have to try out the latest ALSA stuff and try out the iiwu
synthesizer in MuSE. Previous versions of ALSA didn't work well as
the Linux kernel driver with my SB PCI 128. Hopefully, that too has
changed.

- David