Re: [linux-audio-dev] LASE (needs better name) synthesizer interface proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LASE (needs better name) synthesizer interface proposal
From: Werner (ws_AT_seh.de)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 14:18:20 EEST

On Sunday 26 August 2001 09:10, David A. Bartold wrote:
> Hello, I have always wanted to use Linux to synthesize music. However,
> there's been a lack of a standard midi synthesizer interface to support
> pluggable midi engines. Each unix midi program implements its own midi
> engine that usually sucks badly because the programmers focus on the
> application not the synthesizer. Windows has long allowed programmers to
> write their own midi modules to soft/hard synthesize wavetable, FM
> sounds, and beyond (such as Yamaha's XG plugins). By abstracting an
> interface for a midi synthesizer, app developers can focus on their apps
> and synthesizer writers can develop an engine confident it will be
> usable in a variety of programs across various widget sets and languages.
> (mmmm.. a midi player capable of switching between Timidity and soft
> synth..)
>
> So here's a first attempt at a general interface. If you're familiar
> with LADSPA, this stuff should be no surprise, in fact much of it's
> cut and pasted from its header file. I did change the id type from an
> integer to a 128 bit uuid because I wanted to decentralize the
> architecture as much as possible. Note that this code only addresses
> midi output and not input. The name LASE stands for Linux Audio
> Synthesis Engine. The name could be better.. any suggestions?
>
> - David

there _is_ a standard midi synthesizer interface: ALSA. If your
synthesizer registers as ALSA midi sequencer client you get ready
processed midi events. No need to write a midi engine and your
synthi is playable from all ALSA aware sequencer apps. An why
modify LADSPA? You can test the iiwu software synthesizer modified
as a plugin this way for use in MusE (http://muse.seh.de/)

Werner