Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 23:08:56 EET

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 04:16:07PM -0800, Neil Brideau wrote:
> > http://magic.gibson.com/specification.html
> Interesting. Is a domestic network card under linux capable of obeying
> this spec?

I don't know of any network card which *wouldn't* be able to send such
frames. I don't think any card will have problems with it.

> Maybe I should have played with raw ethernet packets when I did my latency
> measurements before, but its a bit lower level than I really like playing
> with.

I think that's the point. It's a *really* simple protocol and will be very
very easy to embed in devices.

My only concern is if it is patent encumbered or not. The PDF doesn't make
that clear.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]