Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol
From: Dan Hollis (goemon_AT_anime.net)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 02:08:57 EET

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 01:08:56PM -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > I don't know of any network card which *wouldn't* be able to send such
> > frames. I don't think any card will have problems with it.
> I think the problem before was more to do with the timing requirements.
> The hardware was required to respond very quickly or something like that.

There are still parts of the spec which are unclear, but it doesn't appear
to have any requirements like that.

It does say that outgoing frames must be generated in-phase with incoming
ones, but that's not a response requirement -- only a synchronization one.

They don't list any hard limits on latency, perhaps they should.

-Dan

--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]