Re: [linux-audio-dev] a quick note about latency expectations

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a quick note about latency expectations
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 01:52:22 EET

Dave Phillips wrote:

> I'm considering buying a MIDIman Delta card, can anyone state how well
>the Delta cards work with either ecasound or Ardour, with a minimum of 4
>inputs ?
>
> The Hammerfall is an option, but it really is more than I need.

a while ago i ran ardour a couple of times with the m-man audiophile,
which shares the central ice1712 chip with the delta series. there were
spurious strange discontinuities in the recorded signal then, but i
haven't found out what caused them - might be they were unnoticed xruns.
iirc there were interrupts with a very small number of frames available
on one stream, and >= full frames / cycle for the other, which should
not happen at all with linked ALSA-streams (duplex setup) on this chip.

however for one i haven't run ardour or jack in a while now, for another
ALSA has evolved, and for yet another i have just seen the card perform
flawlessly at 16 frames / cycle with different code.

tim