Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Thu Dec 06 2001 - 05:46:45 EET

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 01:30, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, David Gerard Matthews Jr. wrote:
> > True enough. But I was thinking it would be handy if it started to show
> > up on recording devices like effects processors and digital consoles,
> > and thus would allow a direct connection to a computer, thus eliminating
> > the need for a soundcard.
>
> It's not eliminating the soundcard. It's moving it into the guitar. I
> don't think that I want my guitar to have that as a point of failure.

Cat5 cable is quite stiff and the connectors were
never made to handle lots of movement.. I can imagine
using regular RadioShack eth parts would be a disaster
when jumping around on stage.

If that is one of the weakest links then it's also a
problem that is reasonably easy to solve, find another
type of cabling and connector that suits! The main point
is that if this "technology" can take advantage of $10
eth cards and WORK AT ALL then it's potentially zillions
of times better than some (totally) proprietory hardware
using (possibly) proprietory protocols and software.

I don't think this is the first instance of people sending
audio and MIDI via ethernet so I think they'd have a real
hard time trying to justify any kind of patent. Besides,
if they want any chance of this being widely adopted then
they better make it as open as possible otherwise firewire
will eat if for breakfast.

The idea of converting the guitar pickup analog signal to
digital right near those pickups and having the possibility
of using spread spectrum technology to get it to the mixing
desk of a live venue ABSOLUTELY appeals to me.

--markc