Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gibson develops audio over ethernet protocol
From: phil_AT_plus24.com
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 06:21:20 EET

Bah, what a week to lose my internet connection at home :(

I've been working on a similar project over the last month which is due to be released over the holidays.
I've been playing around wrapping raw midi with udp packets and seeing how things work out. Things seem to be shaping up ok, with a few arch. related issues to finally resolve.

An initial paper describing the protocol, with an example of a hardware server, can be found:

http://www.plus24.com/dmidi.html

Comments/feedback and of course flames welcomed.

The protocol allows the distribution of MIDI data over a subnet, or point-to-point. The subnet broadcast allows controllers/virtual synths to reside on different machines than where the midi hardware is located. So far I've a couple of synth editors, a basic sequencer/drum machine (a.la. freebirth) and a Yamaha Promix01 controller.

My internet connection isn't back yet so if you email me back it may be a few day's before I can reply.

Cheers

Phil