Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension proposal (quick action wanted)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension proposal (quick action wanted)
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 13:43:37 EET

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 08:59:26 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> the main area of potential evolution right now concerns the right form
> for the argument to lcp_open(). if the GUI's are always on the same
> system, which they would be if fork/execed by the host, `pid' makes
> sense. but for more generality, GUI's could be started on other
> systems (PDA's anyone?) and then sockaddr_in or something similar
> would be appropriate.

How about adopting the same approach X uses. unix domain sockets on local
machines and tcpip on remote ones, I believe.

> in quasimodo, i followed taybin's suggestion of not dictating anything
> about the categories a "module" (read: plugin) could claim to belong
> to. as long as people are reasonably sensible, and pay attention to
> "common practice", this will accomplish the goal richard g. set out.

Statements like that go aginst everything I hold true!

However its probably best to seperate these issues, as what we really want
to do is agree on a useful UI standard, and possibly a way a specifying
defaults.

> >GOING BEYOND LADSPA
> >
> >However, Ardour needs a richer plugin API. MN has one. VST has one.
>
> actually, we don't need one at all. LADSPA is just fine from Ardour's
> perspective. The problem here is that plugin *authors* want a richer
> plugin API to do their work justice. i think steve is just running
> into a brick wall of being unable/finding it very hard to create

The UI is the most important issue right now. I can always build things
that have large numbers of parameters as JACK applications.

> the question has been raised why we don't just do VST ... still, we
> faced that one at the same time as LADSPA was developed, and in most
> sense LADSPA is still a subset of VST.

Out of intererst, how does VST deal with getting large lumps of data to
the DSP part? A lot of VST plugins do that, but I don't remeber seeing
anything in the API that supports it.

- Steve