Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension proposal (quick action wanted)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension proposal (quick action wanted)
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 16:13:37 EET

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> however, even CORBA does not help with the issue of "naming". do you
> have any thoughts on the correct argument type to lcp_open()? there
> are, as i mentioned, 2 scenarios:
>
> 1) host fork/execs the GUI process, passes it a cmdline argument
> for the argument to lcp_open and a UID of some kind for the
> plugin it will control. since the GUI is necessarily on the
> same host, use pid_t will work just fine.
> 2) user or other program fork/execs the GUI process, passing
> it a cmdline argument to point it at the desired LADSPA host.
>
> I don't really see (2) being very common, but given our technical+unix
> orientation, it seems that many people would want it catered to. Or
> perhaps not. I don't know.
>
> Anyway, my best guess so far has been this:
>
> lcp_open (const char *name);
>
> if (strchr (name, '/')) {
> ... unix domain socket like /tmp/lcp/<pid>
> } else if (strchr (name, ':') {
> ... inet domain socket like host.domain:port
> } else {
> ... malformed name ...
> }
>
> how does that seem ?

Umm, it will certainly work, though syntactically I'd prefer
an URL style notation [maybe do communication through http
protocol and use a browser for showing the GUI!? I.e. just
have each LADSPA plugin run its own webserver.].

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/