Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension proposal (quick action wanted)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension proposal (quick action wanted)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 16:19:27 EET

>Umm, it will certainly work, though syntactically I'd prefer
>an URL style notation [maybe do communication through http
>protocol and use a browser for showing the GUI!? I.e. just
>have each LADSPA plugin run its own webserver.].

[ ... laugh? ... cry? ... ??? ... ]

since the type of GUIs we're talking about could only be written in
Java if they were present in a browser, this doesn't seem to help very
much with anything. remember: all existing LADSPA hosts have
facilities for building default GUIs. so the issue is not how to build
some GUI, its how to build the very specific GUI envisaged by the
programmer (who may be the plugin author, or not). java-within-browser
doesn't seem likely to be what most programmers (or users) would have
in mind.

more seriously, do you think there should be support for the "GUI is
not running on the same system as the LADSPA host" case ?

--p