Re: [linux-audio-dev] examples?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] examples?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 16:19:40 EET

>I'm wondering whether anyone out there has any tracks available to enable
>one to *hear* the current state of play within the linux audio world. I'm
>thinking about 100% digitally generated tracks, production efforts with fx
>etc.
>
>I would appear that the linux scene is getting pretty close to VST. Is this
>correct?

no, its still quite a long way away from any of the commercial
DAW/sequencer tools. the bleeding edge existing programs (e.g MusE,
Ardour) have many of the capabilities of those programs but (1) they
tend to be buggy and (2) they typically don't integrate audio+MIDI
particularly well (e.g. MusE does audio, but not that well; Ardour
doesn't do MIDI at all).

we are, however, moving rapidly in the right direction.

its also worth noting that a lot of people who use unix-like systems
for music+sound don't use "integrated" tools like VST, Logic,
Samplitude etc., but instead use collections of fairly independent
tools that are harder to use but ultimately more powerful.

--p