Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 20:05:10 EET

>> i just want to be able to say: we need a GUI for plugin ID 1220,
>> can we find a suitably-named file in LADSPA_GUI_PATH?
>
>Are you concerned about complexity or cpu/disk use?

complexity.

finding and using LADSPA plugins is very easy right now. the kinds of
schemes you're suggesting for matching GUIs to plugins are rather
complex. i'd rather leave that to filesystem-level configuration and
not force every host to do a song and dance when it wants to figure
out what GUIs exist for what plugin. i'm not saying it shouldn't be
complex at some level, but that hosts shouldn't see that.

my current idea is something like

   1) search LADSPA_GUI_PATH for ladspa-<LADSPA-plugin-id>-gui
   2) pick one if any are found, and use it. how to pick is up
       the host (it could use the first, the most recent, whatever).
   3) build default if none are found

>However, apart from LCP.Version: none of it would be compulsory, and its
>useful sometimes to be able to find out who made something without doing a
>websearch.

i haven't see a clear code-level proposal here yet. but i would note
that this is a problem of many, many more things than LADSPA-related
stuff. finding out who wrote most of the programs I have is distinctly
non-trivial. why are we trying to fix that in the context of LADSPA
and/or LADSPA GUIs?

--p