Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Control GUI metadata
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 00:37:15 EET

On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 01:05:10 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >> i just want to be able to say: we need a GUI for plugin ID 1220,
> >> can we find a suitably-named file in LADSPA_GUI_PATH?
> >
> >Are you concerned about complexity or cpu/disk use?
>
> complexity.

OK, fair call. I think we at least need a directory for guis that can provide
interfaces to all plugins though. That doesn't add much does it?

> my current idea is something like
>
> 1) search LADSPA_GUI_PATH for ladspa-<LADSPA-plugin-id>-gui
> 2) pick one if any are found, and use it. how to pick is up
> the host (it could use the first, the most recent, whatever).
ask the user?
> 3) build default if none are found

I prefer something like the presets directories, I still think that
multiple GUIs will be fairly common.

/usr/local/ladspa/gui/1220/basic-gui or whatever

I'm not commited to it though.

> i haven't see a clear code-level proposal here yet. but i would note
> that this is a problem of many, many more things than LADSPA-related
> stuff. finding out who wrote most of the programs I have is distinctly
> non-trivial. why are we trying to fix that in the context of LADSPA
> and/or LADSPA GUIs?

Why not? You've gotta start somewhere. LADSPA DSP plugins allready have
some (fixed) metadata. The schema I suggest isn't just applicable to
LADSPA related things. It might let hosts choose the right guis more
easily or consitantly.

What code would you like to see? I don't think it really needs any
library support.

- Steve