Re: [linux-audio-dev] LCP v0.1.0

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LCP v0.1.0
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Dec 10 2001 - 21:21:57 EET

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 09:12:48 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> More than that: the notion of "generic GUIs" was low on the list of
> design inputs. The model was that a GUI is written for a specific
> plugin, and thus knows its ports. The purpose of these GUIs is to
> provide visual customization not possible when relying on the host to
> build a generic GUI.

I have a vague idea about a gui that actually connects to a rack of
interfaces ala reason. I have to admit I havn't actually though it through
very far, but it seems like a worthwhile thing.

> But OTO-OH, in my own head, I see it as the host's job to provide MIDI
> control of plugin ports. I don't want to impede an alternate model, however.

OK for serial MIDI, but what about OSC, UDP MIDI etc. etc. frontend
plugins can definatly help with wacky stuff here. A canny host could even
spawn two fronends for one plugin.

> As for lambda networks: my impression has been that these would always
> be represented as LADSPA plugins themselves, complete with their own
> ports, etc.

They will havethier own ports (by definition), but how they are
implemented is still up for grabs.

> Also, the more I think about it, the notion of somebody starting up a
> GUI that "connects" to an otherwise "hidden" plugin strikes me as
> silly. Its a typical geek thing to want to do, but I can see little
> real world value in it. The host loaded and runs the plugin; the host
> should start the GUI.

The only reason I can think of is for testing.

- Steve