RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2001 - 09:42:17 EET

> so which apps are you wanting to use in an "integrated" way?

> note: i know that you can make some interesting experimental noise
> with linux (i've done it). but i don't know of anyone who could use it
> for producing the kinds of sonic arrangements most people would call
> "music" unless you're a bleeding edge muse or ardour developer/user,
> and likely not even then at this point.
>
> --p

Ok, I do agree there is no single ubiquitous app on the linux audio
scene that one could call complete or even remotely perfect, but on the
other hand I tend to strongly disagree with your statement that there
are no good apps that are capable of producing professional-sounding
performances. Heck, I've gotten my Masters degree in composition by
using RTCmix in real-time environment (with my own arbitrary front-end
built to control the whole performance), and so far all the critiques of
my work were nothing but positive. Did the samples get out of sync?
Probably. But neither did I get to notice that, nor is that the point.
The point is that the piece sounded as good as any other professionally
produced work (here I am NOT speaking about the work's artistic value,
but strictly about the production value -- just to make sure you
understand I am not trying to kiss my own behind :-), and that is all I
care for (plus the obvious latency issue and the sharing of audio
resources so that I can simultaneously run jmax, pd and rtcmix or some
kind of crazy combination of that sort). If you also check the pd and
jmax lists, you'll get to hear every so often a great success story
using linux in live performance. That's why I believe that you are
seriously undermining the linux art scene.

It's not all in midi. On the contrary, very few professional electronic
music artists use midi for anything more than some kind of external
controller. On the other hand, while Ardour is going to be the app of
all multitrack apps, currently there are plenty for non-real-time mixing
out there which do job more than adequately (obviously including snd).

The apps are out there. Maybe not as strong as protools and similar
commercial stuff when compared as individual entities (and certainly
still lacking in the midi department), but when used in combination,
they pose (IMO) as the most powerful audio platform available.

If I didn't believe in this, I wouldn't be here writing this, or using
linux for my own creative work...

Ico

(the man who made "D" in LAD stand for Discussion ;-)