Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 06:55:15 EET

>Audio apps, such as XMMS are nothing more than entertainment stuff, and
>for all that I care, they mean very little to me outside that realm. So
>when I mention audio apps, I mean serious
>audio-capture/processing/music-making/reproduction stuff.

can you name one usable program in this category for linux?

IMHO, there are currently none. every program that could be a
candidate for this category has significant limitations AFAIK. the
closest i can think of might be jMax and pd, but these are more like
Reaktor, MAX/MSP: sound generators but not much more. neither of them
are capable (AFAIK) of being used for multichannel/multitrack disk
recording and playback. none of the MIDI sequencers is truly stable
(jazz++ is a joke in this regard, and muse, though immensely powerful
and improving everyday, is still quite buggy and changing
rapidly). some of the editors, particularly snd, have been around the
block enough times to be stable, but none of them can handle audio the
way Logic or ProTools do.

so which apps are you wanting to use in an "integrated" way?

note: i know that you can make some interesting experimental noise
with linux (i've done it). but i don't know of anyone who could use it
for producing the kinds of sonic arrangements most people would call
"music" unless you're a bleeding edge muse or ardour developer/user,
and likely not even then at this point.

--p