Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 06:29:04 EET

>Maybe you (or someone else) could work on getting POSIX.4 implemented
>in the Linux kernel. POSIX.4 is the "real time" (i.e., "real world")
>POSIX API.
>
>What is probably really needed is to make the Linux kernel a "real time"
>(i.e., "real world") kernel. And thus, you'll be able to be given
>guarantees about time related stuff.

you can't make Linux into a "hard-RT" OS. thats why RT-Linux exists,
which is a different OS that happens to run Linux as one of its
processes.

as it happens, most of us who have played with it believe that Linux,
especially on an SMP system, with its "soft-RT" capabilities, is quite
adequate for pro audio work.

--p