Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Andy Wingo (wingo_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 00:37:05 EET

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> > some of the gstreamer folks seem interested in adding a JACK I/O
> > module, which would render that part of things mute.
>
> Hmm, could gstreamer be used as the lower-priority frontend server? Does
> it support dynamic client registration?

gstreamer's not actually a sound server, it's a library (or set of
libraries) that are useful in connecting together a media flow graph. If
it were possible to make a plugin called jacksink (which i think it is,
and i'm halfway working on it although i think jack needs some
scheduling changes to allow for 'full-duplex' operation), then you could
'use' jack in gstreamer as the 'audio sink' for an application. but no
one has written an audio server with gstreamer, although it would be
possible.

point being, who cares? if you have to write for an audio server anyway,
it might as well be jack. but that's just my opinion :-)

best regards,

wingo.