RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 06:09:50 EET

> 1) Majority of current audio apps aren't realtime-safe

> 2) Combining JACK and ALSA?

> 3) A lowpriority frontend server? aRts and JACK?

All of these sound fine to me. Older OSS apps would not have the
low-latency, but at least the sound server would offer compatibility
with them (which would just stimulate people to use alsa even more, if
they wanted low-latency), so at least everything should work, and the
newly developed stuff should work great!

> 4) The big API debate...

I agree, this is probably the biggest hurdle. And the only way to
overcome it is to advertise and convince the competition to switch over
(kinda like a sleazy long-distance telephone company hehe).

> Anyway, at the same time, _majority_ of both audio app developers and
> users are not part of these groups, and just know about the kernel
API,
> and that's OSS. Even if ALSA gets integrated to linux-2.5.x, the OSS
API
> is still there.

So whom do we have to beat up to get rid of the oss :-)?

Ico