Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 05:22:44 EET

On Sat, 15 Dec 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> >> * no real-time CD recorder (i have a somewhat working prototype)
> >
> >this is important to people? why?
>
> to me, anyway. so that i can burn CD's direct from audiostreams coming
> from external devices without having to first record them to disk. if
> a client comes to the studio and they have a DAT they want to burn to
> CD, i want to be able to that in one pass. similarly if we have the
> mix on a set of ADAT tapes plus the Digital 8 Bus mix editor, i want
> to be able to burn that without creating a WAV file first.

ah, well, then that's a *very* good reason!

> >> * no loop-based+edit stuff like Acid (spiral loops is cool, but doesn't
> >> really do editing and is 100% loop-driven)
> >
> >i've made an acid-like loop player for jmax/pd (well, no sequencer yet).
>
> well ....

yeah, i've got a few things on my coding to-do list...

> >> * no jamman/echoplex-like real-time looping devices
> >
> >do you have any windows/mac examples of this?
>
> nope, but don't let that stop you! a jMax implementation of this would
> be absolutely awesome, especially if there's a way to hook up the
> keyboard or even better a foot pedal the same way the h/w devices do.

good point. i've built a cv-box that i have knobs hooked up to that
connects to the parport and works with jmax (i need to port the driver to
pd). foot pedals and any other analog controller can be hooked up to
this. it's like icubex with jmax/pd handling the midi conversions, but
*much* cheaper. i even use it as a thermometer to display the temp in
jmax!

-dave

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'