Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 21:21:29 EET

>> * no real-time CD recorder (i have a somewhat working prototype)
>
>this is important to people? why?

to me, anyway. so that i can burn CD's direct from audiostreams coming
from external devices without having to first record them to disk. if
a client comes to the studio and they have a DAT they want to burn to
CD, i want to be able to that in one pass. similarly if we have the
mix on a set of ADAT tapes plus the Digital 8 Bus mix editor, i want
to be able to burn that without creating a WAV file first.

>> * no "chromed-GUI" extensible/modular software synthesis
>> (quasimodo was a start)
>
>what about gripd? yes, it is separate from pd, and i've yet to use it,
>but perhaps it could be merged somehow with pd to make things simpler (or
>if people made gripd/pd plugins that could make things easy for people not
>wanting to get into the complexities of pd).

haven't seen it. i'll take a look.

>> * no s/w samplers like Halion or Gigasampler
>
>i recently bought 1 gig of ram for $100, so the thing that makes
>gigasampler so special i don't have to worry about. yes, gigasampler has
>many other wonderful sampler features, but i can do everything i can think
>of in pd except edit files and do mutitrack recording.

an interesting point about RAM. OTOH, when i'm experimenting with
sound, yes, jMax/pd style flexibility is really cool. when i'm trying
to make music and i'm focused on making the sounds be ordered in time
and less on the qualities of the sound itself, a regular sampler-style
interface has a lot to offer.

>> * many significant DSP plugins missing, despite steve harris' amazing
>> efforts
>
>do you know of/have a list of these missing plugins?

well, just for 2: no good compressors and many people don't like freeverb
or gverb. but just go check out any list of TDM or VST plugins. we're
missing quality implementations of many mastering plugins and almost
all wacked out FX plugins. limiters, compressors, companders,
parametric EQ, spectral delays. we need plugins that perform the same
role as dedicated chunks of h/w, not because of h/w-lust, but because
those chunks have evolved to represent really useful pieces of
equipment.

>> * no loop-based+edit stuff like Acid (spiral loops is cool, but doesn't
>> really do editing and is 100% loop-driven)
>
>i've made an acid-like loop player for jmax/pd (well, no sequencer yet).

well ....

>> * no jamman/echoplex-like real-time looping devices
>
>do you have any windows/mac examples of this?

nope, but don't let that stop you! a jMax implementation of this would
be absolutely awesome, especially if there's a way to hook up the
keyboard or even better a foot pedal the same way the h/w devices do.

--p