Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 06:31:01 EET

>> >this is important to people? why?
>
>> to me, anyway. so that i can burn CD's direct from audiostreams coming
>> from external devices without having to first record them to disk. if
>> a client comes to the studio and they have a DAT they want to burn to
>> CD, i want to be able to that in one pass. similarly if we have the
>> mix on a set of ADAT tapes plus the Digital 8 Bus mix editor, i want
>> to be able to burn that without creating a WAV file first.
>
>Even the Alesis MasterLink buffers to disk first. Can you say 'Buffer
>Underrun"? Real-time burning is hard to do right, without a faster-than
>real-time buffered source. Of course, BURN-Proof helps.

sorry, but this is not true. go and get a tascam dedicated cdrw
unit. it works 100% of the time, perfectly, with a s/pdif real time
input. at least, the one i have access to does. it can only do "audio
time" burning, but given the dedicated nature of the beast, thats
ok. i very much doubt that its internal mechanism is significantly
different than the one in my yamaha computer-mounted burner.

the technique to implement this is very simple, and even cdrecord does
it: you just buffer N seconds of the real time source before you start
the burn.

--p