Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)
From: Lamar Owen (lamar.owen_AT_wgcr.org)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 04:30:06 EET

On Saturday 15 December 2001 11:31 pm, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Even the Alesis MasterLink buffers to disk first. Can you say 'Buffer
> >Underrun"? Real-time burning is hard to do right, without a faster-than
> >real-time buffered source. Of course, BURN-Proof helps.

> sorry, but this is not true. go and get a tascam dedicated cdrw
> unit. it works 100% of the time, perfectly, with a s/pdif real time
> input. at least, the one i have access to does. it can only do "audio
> time" burning, but given the dedicated nature of the beast, thats
> ok. i very much doubt that its internal mechanism is significantly
> different than the one in my yamaha computer-mounted burner.

Pro level equipment (such as that first Marantz burner) certainly is a little
different from consumer grade stuff. Mechanism is but half the battle -- the
Panasonic SV3700 and ill-fated SV3200, for example, had identical mechanisms,
but substantially different electronics. In fact, the SV3200 was buyable for
less than the price of three shop visits for an SV3700 -- I swapped many a
3200 mechanism into a 3700. The 3200 had crippled S/PDIF, but the 3700 had
AES/EBU. I had nine 3700's in constant use; and never did get any
satisfaction from the service centers. Broken machines sent for service were
returned broken -- and SV3200's went on sale. So I bought a dozen, swapped
mechanisms, and dumpstered the carcases and the old 3700 mechanisms.

> the technique to implement this is very simple, and even cdrecord does
> it: you just buffer N seconds of the real time source before you start
> the burn.

And hope that your computer doesn't have a latency 'burp' lasting longer than
the buffer. However, I'll concede the point that this is, indeed, the way to
do it. A large FIFO works wonders.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio