Re: [linux-audio-dev] midi not professionally used - you're joking rightwas Still I cannot understand why

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] midi not professionally used - you're joking rightwas Still I cannot understand why
From: David Gerard Matthews Jr. (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 04:21:26 EET

Allan Klinbail wrote:

> Hey ICO I have to highly disagree with this statement ....just about
> every studio that isn't a mastering studio is using MIDI to one degree
> or another.. My studio ... which is professional in that I do make money
> out of my music is highly MIDI oriented with over 8 individual devices
> all being sequenced or affected by MIDI (this doesn't include my MOTU 8
> in 8 out MIDI rack ... all of my colleagues bar one or two have MIDI
> driven setups...

I think Ico was referring to
experimental/avant-garde/post-classical/academic electronic music, which
is the one bastion where Unix-ish systems have always been popular. In
this realm, MIDI is often frowned upon, because it inherently carries
assumptions of a pulse-based equal-tempered system ultimately derived
from traditional performance practice. Synthesis languages like CSound
or CML have always been the preferred tools of the trade. Also, don't
even bring up "making money" because most of the people producing this
stuff (myself included) are never going to be able to make their primary
income from it. (I make mine teaching undergraduate music theory. From
what Ico has revealed about himself, I would imagine he does something
similar.)
-dgm