[linux-audio-dev] midi not professionally used - you're joking right was Still I cannot understand why

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] midi not professionally used - you're joking right was Still I cannot understand why
From: Allan Klinbail (allank_AT_labyrinth.net.au)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 10:01:46 EET

> It's not all in midi. On the contrary, very few professional electronic
> music artists use midi for anything more than some kind of external
> controller. On the other hand, while Ardour is going to be the app of
> all multitrack apps, currently there are plenty for non-real-time mixing
> out there which do job more than adequately (obviously including snd).

> Ico
>
> (the man who made "D" in LAD stand for Discussion ;-)

Hey ICO I have to highly disagree with this statement ....just about
every studio that isn't a mastering studio is using MIDI to one degree
or another.. My studio ... which is professional in that I do make money
out of my music is highly MIDI oriented with over 8 individual devices
all being sequenced or affected by MIDI (this doesn't include my MOTU 8
in 8 out MIDI rack ... all of my colleagues bar one or two have MIDI
driven setups... it is really only in the non electronic based or
computer only systems which don't use MIDI ... generally as soon as any
electronic device (synthesiser, drum machine, FX units) is plugged in to
a computer MIDI is going to make use of that instrument much easier..
take for example my Yamaha An-200 ..... without MIDI it would be
impossible to edit all parameters of a sound as many are only accessible
via MIDI sysex instructions. This is even more true for the Nord Modular
series.

Okay there are people working with non electronic music formats using
their computer as a multitrack recorder.... but if MIDI weren't relevant
at a professional level it would not be include in professional audio
hardware and it would not have become part of the mLan protocol...

Paul I have to agree that there aren't many people at this stage
professionally producing music with Linux cept the bleeding edge
users/developers of Ardour and MusE .... It is only possible for me to
use in certain areas (say sample editing and some MIDI sequencing from
time to time when I have MusE working correctly..... Luckily I can
depend on my hardware based studio to run most of what I do need in
real-time application ...