Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannotunderstand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannotunderstand why...)
From: David Gerard Matthews Jr. (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 06:17:16 EET

Paul Davis wrote:

> >Ok. Could we gather what we already have and what we need to get? In
> >which directions should we push which people? For example, we're getting
> >the glue (jackit) but what do we need to glue together? Is there
> >something nobody has started to make, even if it's clearly needed (well,
> >clearly for you, I cannot come up with anything right now ;)
>
> * no s/w samplers like Halion or Gigasampler

> * no jamman/echoplex-like real-time looping devices

both of these are easy enough to do in pd/jmax (even for a
non-programmer like me). The problem is that the documentation (and for
jMax the install procedure) end up scaring off a lot of newbies. I guess
the real issue there though is that these programs do a lot more than
just those applications and are possibly overkill for someone who just
wants a sampler or looper.
(Of course the other issue with the sampler is that usually software
samplers have built-in editing facilities, so you'd have to use Snd or
something to tweak you samples before using jMaz or Pd to trigger them.)
-dgm