Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 04:05:56 EET

>Ok. Could we gather what we already have and what we need to get? In
>which directions should we push which people? For example, we're getting
>the glue (jackit) but what do we need to glue together? Is there
>something nobody has started to make, even if it's clearly needed (well,
>clearly for you, I cannot come up with anything right now ;)

* no real-time CD recorder (i have a somewhat working prototype)
* no "chromed-GUI" extensible/modular software synthesis
    (quasimodo was a start)
* no s/w samplers like Halion or Gigasampler
* many significant DSP plugins missing, despite steve harris' amazing
    efforts
* no loop-based+edit stuff like Acid (spiral loops is cool, but doesn't
    really do editing and is 100% loop-driven)
* no jamman/echoplex-like real-time looping devices

>I'd love to see Linux as a powerful, open, extensible (but still
>supporting non-programmers) pro music station. I actually need to see
>it. And I'm willing to slay part of my precious free time for it.

how about *all* your precious free time? :)

--p