Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 05:15:19 EET

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> >> * no "chromed-GUI" extensible/modular software synthesis
> >> (quasimodo was a start)
>
> In terms of chromed gui I think that gdam takes the first prize there.
> I'm not sure how easily it could be extended to really push software
> synthesis but the ladspa fx are a good start. Also spiral loops has
> been well thought out for eye candy appeal. Ardour is doing very
> nicely and Audacity deserves a mention too. Least we forget gstreamer.

yes, there are nice-looking and easy-to-use interfaces for many programs,
but not for synthesis like reaktor or pulsar. of course, reaktor and
pulsar do not allow (in themselves) the flexibility of pd/jmax at the
lower level - you'd have to do some serious programming with possibly
expensive tools. and just because something looks cool doesn't mean it is
- i've seen too many programs with 90% effort put on the gui and 10%
effort put on the functionality - kind of like those aol "hacker" (ha!)
and warez programs written in vb i played with many many years ago (b.l.).
who wants a half-inch cake with 6 inches of icing?

-dave

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'