Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)
From: martijn sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 00:32:23 EET

> sorry, but this is not true. go and get a tascam dedicated cdrw
> unit. it works 100% of the time, perfectly, with a s/pdif real time
> input. at least, the one i have access to does. it can only do "audio
> time" burning, but given the dedicated nature of the beast, thats
> ok. i very much doubt that its internal mechanism is significantly
> different than the one in my yamaha computer-mounted burner.
>
> the technique to implement this is very simple, and even cdrecord does
> it: you just buffer N seconds of the real time source before you start
> the burn.

i'm not an expert on cd recording devices, but these do not allow the
change of recording speed whilst recording, do they? and does s/pdif
have flow control? at least one of either the source or destination needs
to have some way to control its data rate while recording otherwise
buffer underflow/overflow will eventually occur. i may be wrong
though.

--martijn