Re: [linux-audio-dev] Introducing DMIDI

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Introducing DMIDI
From: martijn sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 00:51:06 EET

> There are a small number of issues to fix, but the basic concept of
> having MIDI controllers broadcast data over a TCP/IP network and DMIDI
> hardware clients translate this data into raw MIDI (in as close to
> real-time as I can get) seems quite stable.
>
> The protocol is very simple, and does not seem to suffer from latency
> problems, on my network anyway.

why did you choose to have an udp packet per midi message and not
have one midi byte per packet?

how will sysex be handled?

there is nothing in the protocol to handle losing packets or to prevent it.

a constant delay for the midi stream is often acceptable and the protocol
might use this for handling loss of packets. perhaps RTP could be used?
sending a packet a couple of times can reduce packet loss.

the protocol probably should also have a requirement to the data rate,
i.e. it should not allow a higher data rate than MIDI 1.0

--martijn