[linux-audio-dev] Introducing DMIDI

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Introducing DMIDI
From: Phil Kerr (phil_AT_plus24.com)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 18:43:55 EET

Hi List,

I'd like to introduce DMIDI, a protocol for transmitting MIDI over a
TCP/IP network.

The project will be fully released over the next few weeks and I'm
making it available to you all for feedback/flames.

There are a small number of issues to fix, but the basic concept of
having MIDI controllers broadcast data over a TCP/IP network and DMIDI
hardware clients translate this data into raw MIDI (in as close to
real-time as I can get) seems quite stable.

The protocol is very simple, and does not seem to suffer from latency
problems, on my network anyway.

I've found that using DMIDI as the transport protocol, writing GUI
controllers is far simpler and more portable.

An initial paper on the protocol, together with a few examples can be
found below:

http://plus24.com/dmidi/

Regards

Phil