Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 00:55:16 EET

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 23:32:23 +0100
"martijn sipkema" <msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com> wrote:

> i'm not an expert on cd recording devices, but these do not allow the
> change of recording speed whilst recording, do they?

Recording speed is set by the sample rate.

> and does s/pdif have flow control?

No. s/pdif is a fully synchronous serial protocol which utilizes 100%
of its bandwidth 100% of the time.

> at least one of either the source or destination needs
> to have some way to control its data rate

There is no such control for the reasons above.

> while recording otherwise
> buffer underflow/overflow will eventually occur.

The only buffering is in the CD writer part and this is the only place
where buffering over/underruns can occur.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
The word "Windows" is a word out of an old dialect of the
Apaches. It means: "White man staring through glass-screen
onto an hourglass..."